Psoriatic Arthritis is a form of arthritis that affects people having Psoriasis, a condition with itchy and scaly red patches over the skin. Research reveals that around 24 in Thousand peoples are suffering from Psoriatic Arthritis. The main notable symptoms of Psoriatic Arthritis are Joint pain, stiffness, and swelling and can affect any part of your body.
What are the types of Psoriatic Arthritis?
The five types of psoriatic arthritis are
- Symmetrical: Symmetrical PsA affects the same joints on both sides of the human body. It is generally mild in nature.
- Asymmetric and few joints: Asymmetric PsA affects joints on one side of the human body causing mild soreness.
- Spondylitis: This PsA affects your entire spine from neck to lower back causing severe pain. It may also affect your hands, legs, and feet.
- Distal interphalangeal joints: Joints closer to nails are mostly affected by Distal interphalangeal PsA’s.
- Arthritis mutilans: A kind of PsA that affects your hands and feet. It may also cause pain in the neck and lower back.
Common Symptoms of Psoriatic Arthritis
- Swollen joints on one or both sides of your body
- morning stiffness
- swollen fingers and toes
- painful muscles
- scaly skin patches
- flaky scalp
- nail pitting
- separation of your nail from the nail bed
- eye redness
- eye pain
Is PsA a serious disease?
Even though Psoriatic Arthritis may cause serious pain and inflammation on one or both sides of the body, it’s not a life-threatening condition and can be controlled through proper medication and certain lifestyle changes.
Lack of physical activities or exercises can even worsen joint pain or inflammation. Regular exercises or low impact activities like walking, swimming, and cycling will reduce difficulties. Yoga exercises without putting high pressure on your joints are advisable to undertake to reduce the pain and to increase the strength. Studies reveal that stress can worsen PsA symptoms, so it is always better to give yourself adequate rest and relaxation by practicing meditation and other therapies. Let’s integrate yoga into our daily life to stay away from lifestyle disorders.
Contact the Therapy specialist at Pratimoksha to know more and to analyze your body type with our analysis tool. Call @0503955613 to get a 30 minutes free consultation.