Today’s millennials demand scientific proof for almost everything. So much so that the best of brands roll out advertisements emphasizing that their product has been ‘scientifically proven’ to work. That seems to be the catch-phrase that banishes all possible doubt!
So let’s look at the scientific benefits of Yoga.
- Reduces Stress, Anxiety & Depression: The consistent practice of Yoga lowers the stress hormone Cortisol produced by the Adrenal gland and reduces pro-inflammatory cytokines that cause inflammation. When the right amount of Cortisol hormones is released into the bloodstream, it will help the body respond to stress, increase the body’s metabolism, control blood pressure, reduce inflammation and prepare the body for a fight or flight response. However too much of it keeps the body in a constant state of stress, which is obviously not good for the person. This is where Yoga plays a role in regulating the secretion of Cortisol by calming the mind and helping us develop a more even-tempered attitude towards life. By practicing Yoga regularly one can rid ourselves of unnecessary stress responses that if left unattended lead to anxiety, panic attacks and depression.
- Lowers Back Pain: Yoga uses our own body weight to build strength alongside flexibility. It holds particular benefits for the strength and agility of the spine and helps correct bad posture. With stronger back muscles, we learn to protect our spines when doing core-strengthening Asanas that help reduce fat around the belly area.
- Improves Brain Functioning: Yoga can actually grow your brain! Research has been done to show that regular practitioners, in course of time, have more grey matter volume, which translates to better mental function, particularly as one ages — more cortical thickness, another plus when it comes to brain structure since it’s linked to higher intelligence. (Source: Yoga Effects on Brain Health: A Systematic Review of the Current Literature’ by Neha P. Gothe, Department of Kinesiology and Community Health, University of Illinois)
- Reduces Heart Diseases: By doing Yoga, the benefits for our bodies are manifold. The whole human system is finetuned to work well, all the organs working in synchrony. All lifestyle diseases are addressed. Yoga helps lower blood pressure, cholesterol and glucose levels, as well as the heart rate. All this helps keep our hearts in optimum working condition, thereby reducing the risk of heart diseases.
Yoga no doubt leaves one fresh, energetic and united with our minds and bodies.
If you are new to Yoga — or perhaps you may be an advanced practitioner — practice Yoga consistently for better and better results.
Pratimoksha Enlighten Yoga Center offers a wide range of programs including:
- Group Beginners Program
- Group Advanced Program
- Yoga Therapy
- Individual Yoga Sessions
- Yoga Alliance-certified Teachers’ Training Course RYT500 & 200
- Prenatal & Post-natal Yoga Sessions
- Gentle Yoga
- Online Yoga
- Teen Yoga
Enlighten Yoga Center, Pratimoksha is an effort to break the pattern of teaching ‘Yoga for weight-loss’, introducing authentic and traditional Yoga teaching to our communities.
Call @ 050-395-5613 for more details.